Wednesday, April 9, 2014

607. Chickpea Vegan Curry


This vegan Indian curry is so delicious it's hard to believe it's so healthy!
In it shine seven different vegetables, which is more variety than what I usually eat in the span of a day, much less a single meal.

Chickpeas, green peas, onion, cauliflower, potato, carrots, and coconut milk, in addition to immunity boosting curry powder, caraway seeds, and mustard seeds.
You can use canned chickpeas, but with the time I save using a pressure cooker, I much prefer dried.
The sheer variety of colors and textures made me excited! I had this curry when I was ravenous, and it was so good that I forced myself to stop, get a paper and pen (so old fashioned, I know), and pick through the curry to write down what I detect in both taste and form. I know from the creaminess of the sauce some sort of cream was involved, so opted to recreate it using coconut milk/cream. Best decision ever.
Other Indian vegan favorites are red lentil dahl and green pea curry.


Ingredients:

1 cup dried chickpeas (or 2 cups canned)
1/2 head cauliflower, florettes
3 Tbsp oil
2 cups peeled rough chop potato
1 cup peeled rough chop carrot
1 cup peeled medium chop onion
2 tsp caraway seeds
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 Tbsp curry powder (Madras)
2 cubes vegetable bouillon
1 cup frozen green peas
2 cans coconut milk


Method:

Soak the chickpeas overnight in water.
Next day, drain the chickpeas, boil in fresh water in a pressure cooker for 25-30 minutes (or 2 hours in a regular pot, but who wants to do that?).
Meanwhile, fry the cauliflower florettes in deep oil until brown. Drain on paper towels.
In a pot, saute the onion, potato, and carrot in the oil until the onion is soft the the potato is just starting to brown in places.
Add the caraway and mustard seeds and the curry powder; sauté until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
Add the peas and cooked drained chickpeas and the fried cauliflower.
Add the two cans of coconut milk and half a cup of water. Bring to a simmer and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
Serve as is or with some rice.


 صحة و عافية

No comments: