Friday, November 16, 2012

239. Chickpea Rice Pilaf


I invented this rice pilaf as I was cooking it, adding ingredients which I thought were complimentary to one another as I went along.
I'm fairly certain if I search thoroughly enough I will discover that it is has already been invented before, thereby nullifying my invention... but still.

Both chickpeas and rice are pantry staples, and both really fill you up and provide enough nutrition to forgo any meat.


Ingredients:

1 Tbsp ghee or oil
3/4 cup vermicelli (angel hair)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can chickpeas
2 cups rice


Method:

Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas; set aside.
Rinse the rice until water runs clear, drain; set aside.
Heat the ghee in a pot, saute the vermicelli until golden.
Add the spices and seasonings and the chickpeas.
Saute until fragrant.
Add the rice and using a folding action stir until incorporated.
Add enough boiled water to just cover the rice by about a centimeter.
Bring back to a boil, immediately cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
Let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the grains are fluffy.
Serve hot.


 صحة و عافية

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

marhaba..your right..this is made in the Sham but with lamb cubes or lamb on bone or chicken on bone .braised slowly with baharat including cumin and the chickpeas and onions ..once tender the rice or burghul is added ( no shariyeh)..its called roz/burghol b dfeen or kidra if you are palestinian/jordanian( in palestine /jordan the rice is colored yellow).. it is served with laban and/or salad with mint and lemon dressing it is sublime.. I think in Turkey it is made meatless like yours..nadia