Wednesday, May 23, 2012

62. Fattoush Salad


Fattoush is an Arab salad that really just uses whatever salad vegetables you may have on hand. In addition to the ingredients mentioned below, sliced cucumber, olives, and grated carrot may also be added.
What makes fattoush deserve its name, is essentially the topping of fried pita bread and the sumac dressing.




Ingredients:

For the salad:
lettuce, roughly shredded
tomato, wedges
red radish, thinly sliced
red capsicum, roughly diced
onion, thinly sliced
fresh mint leaves
pita bread, cubed, fried

For the dressing:
1 clove garlic
1 tsp salt
2 lemons, juice
1 tsp sumac
1/2 tsp dry mint
1/2 cup olive oil











Method:

Combine all the vegetables in the serving dish.
Top with the cooled fried pita bread.
To make the dressing, pound the garlic and salt to a puree.
Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk,
Pour dressing over salad just before serving.


 صحة و عافية

2 comments:

Kayte Miro said...

I am in love with this recipe, I've been making it for two consecutive weeks! However the only things I changed about this already amazing recipe is: I toast the bread in the oven, I dont fry it, and for the dressing, I only put juice of one lemon because I found the lemon overpowers the other flavors. thank you again for a delicious entry.

Maryam said...

Hi Kayte!
Yes I would suggest oven-crisping the bread instead of frying it if you want to eat fattouche on a regular basis. That's important for health reasons, so thanks for bringing it up.
As for the dressing, I suppose it might depend on the size of the lemons, but certainly no-one would like overpowering acidity in their salad.
Thanks for your comment and welcome back anytime.